Friday, July 8, 2011

Calgary Stampede Parade

Today I bravely did somethings I've never done before.  My mom won tickets to the parade so I thought, what the heck, I'll get myself and Sam down there and we'll see what all the fuss is about.  Boy, I had no IDEA what I was getting us into!
First adventure... finding the C-train station.  You'd think something like this would be easy.  Well, the truth is that in the 6 years I've lived in Calgary I've never ever been on a ctrain or been to a ctrain station.  I found it.  I paid.  And then I waited.  AND waited.  Being armed with my camera, a lunch box, and a back pack of supplies Sam and I weren't the quickest ctrain goers.  Each time the crowded train would stop, I'd think there was a chance for me to squeeze on.  And there probably would have been if the JERKS behind me didn't rush past me and steal my spot!  This happened enough times that a sweet Asian family helped me barge my way on after 5 or 6 different trains had left me in their dust.  A very very kind gesture that I'm sure the dad regretted, as we were trapped standing on the hot train with my bum nearly on his chest for 25 minutes.  I finally decided that I couldn't take anymore and excited the train.  This was a good move.
We walked many blocks to our reserved seats that looked a little like something a kindergarten child would construct out of popsicle sticks and pipe cleaners.  Then I thought "what the hell, we've made it this far" and up we climbed.  Me in a dress.  Awesome.  
Though by the amount of people already there when we arrived, we were nearly 2 hours early.  That is a very long time for a two year old.  Very long.  Snacks, bus, balloon, jumping were my only tools as we were trapped once again in a tiny space with many strangers.
Finally the parade... huge floats, lots of culture, probably a million horses, Rodeo Queens of all ages, marching bands, police, a tank or two.  Quite grand and very very long.
We left a little early in hopes to beat the rush, but my dreams were crushed when I saw the line to board.  Meh, life lesson in patience and determination.  Oh and that when Sam has enough, he just goes to sleep.  All in all, it was quite the adventure.  Not sure why I thought taking in the parade and travelling on the ctrain on the BUSIEST lrt day of the year would be easy, but I did it.  
Here are my mediocre pictures.  Yes there are only four.  Yes the are blurry and disappointing. I had a lot going on ok!!! :)
Parade marshal -  Rick Hansen
This is a man riding a GIANT bull like a horse.  I know the photo doesn't do it justice but it was crazy.  I felt uncomfortable having it walk by me and that crazy man was happy to ride it down the street.  Wild.
My boy parade watching.
Proof we were down town Calgary!  This is after our early escape before the crowds came.
Oh yes, and for the real reason I was so dang determined to get to the parade - Will and Kate.  Our Royal couple was doing the parade route backwards before the actual parade started and I wanted desperately to see them.  I know they are just people.  I know they have been pasted all over the media and it's driving some people crazy.  But I also know there is a little something in me that loves the fairy tale of it all.  They are young and beautiful and seem absolutely in love.  They have reached out to regular people and seem genuine in their exchanges.  I think they are a little bit of wonderful.  Ok, back to my story... Sam and I are RUSHING to our seat to get a chance to see them.  Just as I find our set of bleachers, the helpful man who showed me where I was supposed to climb to says "Hurry the Royals are coming!!!!!"  I only had time to rip Sammy from his stroller and hold him up so he could see them... as if he would remember that moment or they would see him and love him as much as I do.  Anyways, they BURNED down the route in a car and as quickly as the moment arrived it was gone.  Though initially a little disappointed, I sit here now knowing I saw the Princess' perfect smile and saw a tiny little moment of their fairy tale.  Yep and we all lived happily ever after...

No comments:

Post a Comment