Monday, August 18, 2014

Summer Holidays Week 7

This week was a strange one... months ago I put Sam into a morning day camp for this week.  As it approached I regretted thinking it would be nice to have the flexibility and freedom of one last full week together.  But, the money was spent, so I couldn't abandon the idea and we showed up early Monday morning.  By the time I had signed him in, he had dropped off his back pack and was in the middle of his first ever dodgeball game.  I lingered because I just knew he'd need an official goodbye... then I moved to the stands because I was certain he would panic and need me... then I stood looking for a tiny wave and little smile or something so that I knew he'd be ok if I left him there... after all those moments passed I realized that it was me that needed the good bye, not him, so I quietly left wondering if I was going to have a little cry or not.
The week continued on with tons of excitement.  Two days of biking (yep, my reaction was as flabbergasted as you are imagining), many different games, learned about the chemical reaction between coke and mentos (it was a science camp after all), made friends... he LOVED every second.  He would come home with a new set of scraped knees, a million stories and a determination to recreate a 20 person game of dodgeball with just me in the backyard.  His camp leaders were amazing young men who handled the group of 5-12 year olds with enthusiasm and professionalism.  I felt so lucky Sam had this experience.

Another exciting event last week was our First Time Riders meeting to learn about riding the school bus.  With Sam's bus pass coming in the mail, and his determination to ride the bus, we thought it would be best for him to learn about it (and perhaps us too!)  It could possibly been the least informative and anxiety inducing seminar I've ever been too, but I could tell Sam felt pretty good about the whole thing.  Sigh... babies don't ride the bus!?!??!  Oh no... this must mean he's not a baby anymore.  

Shaun began his 3rd Spartan season with the Calgary race this weekend.  Sam and I went to be fans.  It was an awesome time watching.  Sam searches for his dad and each time he spots him on the course, Sam is certain Shaun is winning.  He definitely has a hero!

The strangest thing is that I only took a couple pics this week.  I felt a little like a bystander all week.  Watching (and realizing) the end of the first phase of Sam's being.  He doesn't need me the same way he used to.  He can cross all the monkey bars, ride a bike, match up his shoes, deal with all bathroom activities, open is own squish 'em, express his frustrations, put on his own movies, knows AFV stands for America's Funniest Home Videos... all the necessary skills to get by in a day.  Don't get me wrong - I'm still the best at bed time and no one makes water gun games more fun than his dad!  Today in the car I asked him if he was nervous about starting kindergarten.  He replied 'Why would I?  I can do everything I need.'  I told him I was a little nervous and he said 'Why Mom?  You should be so excited.  I won't even forget about you.'  Pretty wise words... I love that little boy.  

New mom... a million dreams, hopes, fears, worries, wishes all
for one tiny little helpless being...

Five years later he is cooler, funnier, more handsome, smarter,
stronger, more brave, sweeter, independent and wise than I could have ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment