Thursday, March 24, 2011

Got the Call

After a long day at work, with all sorts of pre-spring break craziness, I arrived home to see there were new messages on my phone.  I was waiting for a few calls, so I went to listen to my messages in private.  There were three and they were all for me.  One regarding Sam, one regarding my best friend (both GREAT news) and another about myself.  I will share the last one with you...
Every few weeks I have to go get my blood checked.  I developed uncontrollable blood clots after Sam was born.  Started small, moved to my lungs and then filled my entire right leg.  It was a long and painful few months with many low-lows.  The anti-coagulation clinic has been following me since.  I get blood work, they call to tell me my levels and how to proceed with medication.  Many phone calls have been frustrating, some in the early days exposed my "new mom" craziness, and most have been very routine.  Just a regular occurrence in my life.  Last night's call was different.  A friendly and familiar voice.  My levels were great, very stable.  Continue same treatment.  Then she said, "Amanda, I'm the nurse that took you on two years ago to the day when all this started.  I can't believe it's been that long.  We are turning your care to your family doctor because you don't need us anymore.  I hope your health and your boy's health continues to be great.  I'm so happy things have turned out the way they did for you two.  I also hope I never have to talk to you again.  Take care of yourself.  Best of luck."  And she was gone.


Through tears and sniffles, I tell Shaun.  It's hard to understand how such a simple message could make me so emotional, but it feels like freedom.  Like I've been released from a body that I thought was going to hold me back forever.  Incredible to think that in all my issues I had effected a stranger enough for her to remember me, care about me and hope for the best for me... she had only ever heard my voice.  There were some super scary days and dark days, but those don't even matter anymore.  The voice told me that she never wanted to have to call me again, and my goal is to make the wish come true.    

2 comments:

  1. Oh honey I am so happy for you. It makes me so glad that you can be the woman you want to be, the great wife and mother that you continue to be. As being a mom, you can appreciate how much your heart hurts when your child's health is compromised. I am proud that you have handled this with grace and courage and continued with your life full force. I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete