Sunday, December 12, 2010

Gift of Giving on Day 12

My extended family has a really great tradition.  We celebrate Christmas each year together on Boxing Day out at my Grandparents' farm.  It's what I've done my whole life.  It's a day I look forward to all year long.  My cousins are like extra siblings to me... I love them with all my heart.  My Aunt's and Uncle's are wonderful people, I'm so lucky to have them.  I can't even begin to tell you how much I love my Grandparents.
Ok, back to the point of this blog, Christmas at my Grandparents is always an interesting event.  Way too much food, so many laughs, wacky gifts, battle over dishwashing... the list continues.  Often we also have tag-alongs at the celebration.  One year I brought a friend whose family was in BC so she wouldn't be alone.  She was calling my Gramma "Grams" by the end of the day and dancing like crazy at the annual bowling event with my Auntie.  Another year, my Aunt picked up a family that had been stranded at the side of the road because their vehicle broke down.  We didn't know them and they didn't know us, but we shared a meal, some laughs and the whole day together.  A few years ago, we began our Gift of Giving exchange.  Instead of trading gifts, we do an act of kindness in the name of someone else.  From buying Tim Horton's for the car behind to generous donations to Children's Hospital to gathering all the carts in a parking lot, my family comes up with wonderful ways to honor each other by giving to someone else.  Usually many tears, mostly by me, are shared and it just feels like we've done the right thing.  Like I've said a million times, I'm so lucky to be part of this group of people.


This year Shaun drew my mom's name, Sam has Kane's name and I have Kal.  We decided to build a hamper for a family at my school.  I bought a bunch of groceries, Shaun got a great big turkey and Sammy picked out a puppy teddy bear (well, he picked one and then couldn't give it up so we ended up buying two...) and a box of KD.  We also donated some mittens, scarves, a hat and a vest.  Hopefully we'll fill some bellies and warm some hearts this holiday season.



Hope this puppy makes another little boy just as happy as ours...

1 comment:

  1. You have such a huge, kind & caring heart, Mandi. We could all learn so much from you and your family about what Christmas truly is about and the warm, fuzzy feelings that go along with giving and loving unconditionally!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete